Re: Solid App Authorization

On 7/31/19 2:56 AM, Alexandre Bourlier wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> As far as I know, WebID-TLS is not going to happen by lack of browser
> support for the standard.
>
> I believe WebID-OIDC is the recommended way to authenticate an app to
> a POD. At least, that is how we do it at Startin'blox 😉
>
> I do not know what DID is though.
>
> I hope this helps

Hi Alexandre,

Solid is not a WebID-TLS vs WebID-OIDC regarding Authentication protocols.

Confusion arises because you can deploy a Node.js Solid Server (NSS) in
two modes:

1. WebID-TLS only -- this is limited by general confusion about TLS and
Browsers (a looong story, I can't revisit yet again).

2. WebID-OIDC + WebID-TLS Bridge -- broad use by everyone right now that
uses Solid

3. WebID-OIDC only -- this doesn't exist

My biggest fear is that misunderstanding regarding #2 will create #3 and
that will basically be #1, but from a different perspective.

Thus, if we veer away from this WebID-TLS vs WebID-OIDC misconception we
prevent the emergence of #3.

The WebID-OIDC + WebID-TLS Bridge enables your application support WebID
authentication using either protocol. It is "horse for courses"
compliant which is consistent with the underlying design of the Web's
technology stack.

I hope this helps as we don't ever want #3, and #1 is already fading away .

Kingsley

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen