Re: redefining social web (was Re: Mosaic Intro)

Hi Timothy

On 2/10/2019 11:28 AM, Timothy Holborn wrote:
> Great notes...
>
> May I suggest a horizontal timeline rather than a vertical one.and
Interesting and compelling suggestion. I will play around with that idea
int he mockups

> Beyond differentiation,
>
> A. I have noticed younger people in particular really enjoy scrolling
> through the comments on a post.   This could be achieved by way of
> vertical scrolling
>
> B. The ability to create faceted results via preset & defined queries,
> could enable horizontal scrolling to have multiple dimensions
>
> C. The ability to leverage ontological datasets might also provide the
> means to enhance the informatics modalities of any "related posts",
> particularly if the community are encouraged to support ontology
> production; for instance, news genres, and social discovery and
> classification of posts from news / web sources, etc.
>
> D. I suspect the ontological framework around the solid address book
> will provide far more granular & flexible opportunities, that might
> in-turn support user experiences that incorporate functionality
> otherwise considered to be separate  products; for instance,
Not sure I am following everything here but easy filtration of news
feeds along with custom and pluggable algorithms is part of the current
design.

> Short messages / Twitter
> Business / professional networking / LinkedIn
> - personal
> - communities
> - dating / friend finding
> - meetup like functionality, Inc.
> - discoverability of local offers; i.e.  happy hours or takeaway /
> dining specials - in Australia, often pubs have dinner specials
> - etc.
>
> Therein, my thoughts consider how a multimodal is framework might help
> redefine social.
>
> Beyond that, I think it's worth noting that most social sites have a
> bunch of underlying data services supporting it.
>
> such as;
> - media / video transcoding,
> - geo representation & contextual discovery based on location, etc.
> - instant messaging
> - sharing of contacts, encouraging others to join, means to import old
> data, etc.
>
> In a decentralized model, there are new opportunities. Some include
> enabling the end user to pick an api provider, whilst this is
> Generally a fee based service (i.e. various google or Amazon APIs),
> and there's other opportunities.
>
> Often also, the large provider are encouraged to.do kyc/aml, for
> various reasons.  I am not sure whether this is achieved via the solid
> provider, or the app. I note also, a bunch of potentially very good
> democracy enhancing solutions come about if kyc/aml related checks are
> done - elected parliamentary persons want to engage real people in
> their electorates, for example...
I am absolutely interested in civic engagement use cases and you are
correct that identity is critical here. Verifiable credentials seem to
be a big part of the solution here. It's a matter of getting
authoritative entities to start issuing digital voter registrations.