Re: Kicking off the Solid Community Group

Hi all,

my name is Knut-Olav Hoven, am 34 years old and live in Drammen,
Norway. I am working for the Norwegian tax administration as a
software developer, primarily in Java.

I have for many years been fascinated with the semantic web techniques
and possibilities, and had a great experience from a project at the
Norwegian broadcasting corporation a few years ago, where we utilized
distributed versioned RDF documents with event sourcing techniques to
create a radio archives solution. As part of this project I did a lot
of research on different kinds of identification systems, and the
results are published in this article
<https://nrkbeta.no/2018/01/24/how-we-talk-about-things-in-systems/>.

The semantic web brings great flexibility, and together with identity,
privacy, distribution and cryptography, I see no limits to the
possibilities this can give us.

As a side note: playing with my new Solid Pod this week brings back a
lot of memories to the early days of the web of hand-coded web pages,
small buttons, unclear behavior, and a lot of fun playing around with
new technology, while hoping not to break too much.

As the community grows, and more developers come to explore these
technologies, they will look for directions and examples, request
extensions and propose changes.

Sadly, most developers don't read specs, they copy examples. I still
see people argue over which HTTP verb to use, or on what makes a
"restful" URL. A good and precise specification is always a nice way
to end a bad discussion. We need good examples of use, and together
find the best solutions for enhancements, still with our minds focused
on the future of the web.

Hope I can be of help.

Best regards,
Knut-Olav Hoven