centralized components, was Re: Webmention writeup in The Register

On 02/18/2016 05:47 PM, Ben Werdmüller wrote:

> Question I don't know the answer to: is it ever acceptable to attach
> to a centralized system (eg Akismet) to provide services like spam
> prevention? Or should our goal always be complete decentralization? If
> the latter is the case, can complete decentralization ever capture
> network-wide discovery?

To me, personally, decentralization is a means to an end.  The goal is
healthy competition, which feels a lot like freedom and fairness.  The
enemy is lock-in.

So centralized search engines for the Web are fine, as long as there's
healthy competition among them.   When one of them, or a cabal of them,
comes to dominate the market, that's anti-competitive and is likely to
result in several bad things happening.   (At some point, the political
system tends to notice and get involved, but I'd rather intervene before
serious harm is done.)

It's the same with centralized anti-spam.   As long as there's a healthy
competition among anti-spam providers, I think that's okay.

It's not as cool as decentralization, though.

(Decentralization has some other potential benefits, like it might
result in systems that scale better, or it might result in better
political independence, but those aren't what motivate me, personally.)

      -- Sandro