From:   Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org>
To:     James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>, "public-socialweb@w3.org"
<public-socialweb@w3.org>
Date:   10/22/2015 08:52 AM
Subject:        Re: internationalization issues

On 10/22/2015 11:45 AM, James M Snell wrote:
> I'm still waiting for feedback on what parts of the AS2.0 spec are
> "obviously too complex". So far the feedback has been far too vague to
> be useful.

I'll try to get to this next week, but my high-level feedback is likely
for AS2.0 to be successful everything outside the basic actor-verb model
and the kinds of metadata in Winer's RSS specs/Atom should be removed
and put back in Activity Vocabulary.

I also am still strongly against the Activity Vocabulary being a
normative Recommendation, as it will lead to endless bikeshedding and
its a Sisyphean task to describe all social interactions using a single
vocabulary, and the vocabulary should align where possible with
IETF/microformats specs down to the 'string' level.

And yes, evidence points to AS1.0 being a failure (as well as original
binding to Atom's XML format). While Atom/RSS had widespread adoption
amongst end developers, AS1.0, despite being deployed by large sites and
even Microsoft for a period of time, failed to gain much developer
mind-share. The situation is even trickier with AS2.0 because *unlike*
AS1.0, there's no large implementers (outside *maybe* IBM) really
interested, just the open-source community.

         cheers,
            harry