Re: AS2 media type

On 2015-10-19 17:11, James M Snell wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 2:02 PM, Sarven Capadisli <info@csarven.ca> wrote:
> [snip]
>>>
>>>     In my opinion, the concern is largely theoretical and is not backed
>>> by real implementation experience. There is nothing to be gained by
>>> switching to using the application/ld+json media type. Nor is there
>>> anything "broken" about using the "application/activity+json".
>>

>> https://github.com/jasnell/w3c-socialwg-activitystreams/issues/52#issuecomment-125879060
>> awaits your response.
>>
>> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-socialweb/2015Oct/0055.html
>> awaits your response.
>>

> This note *is* my response. I remain unconvinced by any of the arguments given.
>
>> And good documentation here:
>> https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialwg/Media_type_for_AS2
>>
>> "it does not break anything" doesn't come across as a convincing argument to
>> me because using application/json will work just fine.
>>
>> application/activity+json will only help you to know that the content which
>> comes along will resemble the use of the AS2 vocabulary. It still won't tell
>> you which JSON convention is used, and so it will require special
>> processing.
>>

> "which JSON convention is used" ... I have no idea what this means.
> Receiving 'application/activity+json' tells you that you're dealing
> with an Activity Streams 2.0 document. Nothing more, nothing less.
> It's still not clear what "breaks".
>
>> The AS2 Serialization Notes essentially says that if you don't use the
>> JSON-LD convention, well, take these measures so that we can sensibly end up
>> with JSON-LD any way. I find it odd that we are dancing around the JSON-LD
>> convention (a W3C Rec with decent adoption), but not just committing to it
>> because we want to allow arbitrary JSON conventions (which is a fine thing
>> to do in and of itself) but still map to JSON-LD.
>>
>> IMO, the arguments for reusing application/json or application/ld+json
>> outweigh inventing application/activity+json.
>>

> It's still not clear what the argument is and why things would break
> by using application/activity+json.

What breaks when you reuse the existing media types?

How are the existing media types insufficient to AS2's needs?

I think you have the burden of proof backwards. The question is not
about "switching" to application/json or application/ld+json, but rather
why not reuse what exists before jumping over hoops to push a
yet-another-activity-streams media type?

If there was a fundamental argument made for application/activity+json,
can you kindly point me to it?

-Sarven
http://csarven.ca/#i