Fwd: Getting the group back on track

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 6:20 PM, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org> wrote:

> +1 to this email.
>
> On 10/06/2015 07:06 PM, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
>
> > I think we can.  ActivityStreams 2.0 is already looking quite polished.
> > Today we got some good clarity on what an ActivityStreams test suite
> > would look like, and I can help on this.  But the deliverables of social
> > api and federation api seem stuck in a rut.  At minimum, we need to
> > agree on a format and move forward with it.
>
> Right now, off top of my head implementers would be:
>
> 1) IBM Connections
> 2) Pump.io
> 3) MediaGoblin
> 4) Objective8 (Thoughtworks)
>
> Anyone else?
>
> Compared to many other W3C specs, if we can get them all *actually*
> implemented and tested that would be great - and would be fine for CR.
> While I admit AS2 implementer momentum is not as much as we want, it
> does exist.
>
> As we get closer to a CR it would be a very good idea to reach out to the
existing large scale users of Activity Streams 1.0 and get their feedback
on the changes and likelihood of adoption.

When AS1 first shipped, the biggest users were social network sites
directly, however their APIs diverged over time. Now the biggest users I
know of are enterprise API vendors.
In particular Gnip maps many different social sites firehoses and APIs into
Activity Streams:

http://support.gnip.com/sources/

(click through to see their mappings with examples)

and Socialcast maps many different cloud servcies and ops tools into
activity streams - see

https://socialcast.github.io/socialcast/apidoc/activities.html

Also, google plus still uses a form of AS1, with their own additions:
https://developers.google.com/+/web/api/rest/latest/activities#resource

Finally, Granary translates various social streams into AS1, Atom and
microformats, so would be a good place to review given all the fretting
about translation

https://granary-demo.appspot.com/