AW: Clarification of as:content?

Hi Rob,

since  I’m a newbie too, I’d like to add my understanding on the issue.

>From my perspective, your first example is no activity. I always have an activity stream in my mind when thinking about the spec. What should show up there? I guess the actual image, right? Then you are missing a link to the image.

Additionally, when seeing the image in your activity stream, you would also want who has posted the image, right? Therefore, you need an Actor.

The examples in the spec are only examples for the respective type and not a full activity. An object type alone is not an activity, but usually serves as the object of an activity.

Regarding your second example. I would certainly put the content of the note in there. And yes, you are right: if the content field is used for putting in a description of a binary or larger resource, then the property name is a bit misleading.

I’m keen on hearing the explanation of the veterans on that.

Regards

René

Von: Robert Sanderson [mailto:azaroth42@gmail.com]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 4. November 2015 07:18
An: public-socialweb@w3.org
Betreff: Clarification of as:content?

Apologies for the likely newbie question, which is likely the first of many. Please bear with me, and hopefully they can be treated as a input from someone without all of the background knowledge you all have ... like most readers will be :)

The `content` of an Object is "A natural language description of the object content.".  But not the content of the resource itself?  Traditionally one would call the property "description" rather than "content"? Which is not to start a naming discussion, just to make sure that `description` is the operative word, not `content` :)

So this:

{
  "@context": "http://www.w3.org/ns/activitystreams",
  "@type": "Image",
  "displayName": "Small Red Square",
  "content": "<p>This image is a small red square, for unknown use.</p>",
  "height": 100,
  "width": 100
}

Could be a 100x100 image, and `content` would describe the image, and displayName give a label for it. (As per the example in the attachment definition)

So ... if you have a Note or Article without a URI, is there a way to provide the actual representation of the resource, rather than a description of that (err) content?  Example 135 / Fig 37 in -core, however, gives the impression that the representation is in the content field?

Could someone please show how to model this situation in AS:

The Object is a Note with the uri http://example.org/note1.md.  It's in Markdown and the note's representation is "You __won't believe__ what happens at the end of [this video](youtube)!".  The description of that content is the HTML: "<span>Clickbait in Markdown</span>".

Thanks!

Rob

--

Rob Sanderson