Re: Webfinger

On 01/30/2015 06:00 PM, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> On January 30, 2015 8:55:00 AM EST, James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If we decide to use WebFinger here, then so be it. I personally feel
>> it's
>> easily possible to do significantly better.
>
> Shall we open an ISSUE on this?
+1

> My sense is webfinger is kind of useful and also kind of annoying if you need to map email to proper IDs.
>
> Even if webfinger were perfect for this, I'd probably still lean against using email addresses as primary identifiers for accounts.    I think.    Mostly I'm aware how much technical and social baggage they have.    Maybe I'm biased by my older-teen kids thinking of email as obsolete (and dumb).
>
> The indieweb reasons against webfinger are mostly not compelling for me, but a few of them are.

> If we're going to use it, I'd think we should update it to be JUST a mapping from email to profile URL.  That is, http://w3.org/.well-known/wf2?email= sandro@w3.org would http redirect to http://www.w3.org/People/Sandro.   And that would be the entirely of the standard, give or take edge cases.
+1 i use it exactly as mere mapping to my homepage which provides the
actual data as RDFa or JSON-LD (Turtle coming soon!)

{
  "links": [
    {
      "rel": "http://webfinger.net/rel/profile-page",
      "href": "https://wwelves.org/perpetual-tripper"
    }
  ]
}

i find this basic mapping super handy when i enable authentication with
Mozilla Persona, this way i can get profile information and show avatar,
greet person with a name etc.

BTW at some point i plan to make demo of webfinger based version of
* http://manu.sporny.org/2014/identity-credentials/
* https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webpayments/2014Jun/0080.html