Re: on API Requirements

On 2015-01-28 11:58 AM, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> Some comments/questions/thoughts on
> https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialwg/Social_API/Requirements
>
> I'm happy to put these on the wiki, but right now it's probably best
> to have a quick discussion here.
>
> - What is an "Enterprise Document"?
Word processing (like Microsoft Word), Spreadsheets (like Excel),
Presentations (like PowerPoint). Stuff that business people share around.
> - missing? Formatted text, eg bold, in text
Sure.

> - missing? special link elements in text, especially "mentions" of
> other users.   Some things, like URLs, can be automatically pulled out
> of plain text, but facebook-style mentions of users can't.
I think we ruled that out of scope for AS 2.0, and I'd be surprised if
we snuck it back in here.
> - missing? ability to see that text was modified after first posting,
> maybe which versions others are commenting on
So, are you thinking of using some other kind of data structure than AS
2.0? This is all covered in there.
> - missing? app data in profiles / extensibility of profiles
What's "app data"?
> - what are "groups" as opposed to "contact lists"?   It looks like
> groups are add-yourself, and contact-lists are add-other people,
Yes. Contact lists are more personal, too. My "family" list includes my
father, mother, brothers, wife and children. You, Sandro, would have a
different "family" list.
> but there's the common middle ground of request-to-be-added, right?
That's more like a group than a contact list.
> - missing? setting who can see which things
Again, that's kind of addressed in AS 2.0.
> - Can you justify most of the out-of-scope stuff?   Without streaming
> or push, I don't see how this system could catch on.
I think that server-to-server stuff is going to be more pertinent when
we discuss the federation protocol.

-Evan