RE: Distributed architecture and social justice / at risk individuals

A simple web search will show where the vast majority of understanding of this term resides.

From: Ben Werdmüller [mailto:ben@withknown.com]
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2015 12:23 PM
To: Crawford, Mark
Cc: Christopher Allan Webber; Francesco Ariis; public-socialweb@w3.org
Subject: Re: Distributed architecture and social justice / at risk individuals

I think social justice is a commonly understood term, whether you agree with its definition or not.

We're very concerned about these issues at Known, but I think a lot of them don't necessarily fall into the protocol design. Things like blocklists are implementation features of individual systems, and may even turn out to be features on which different systems compete. As an analogy, I think blockbots are not a million miles away from spam blacklists, and are totally cool in that respect - but those spam lists aren't a part of the core email protocol. Things like analyzing a third party user to determine whether they should be automatically blocked is a client feature.

Making these technologies easy is important. One good way to make that happen is to not be too strict about what kind of systems can interact with the protocols and formats that are agreed upon. In other words: don't be too prescriptive about platform. That leaves room for innovation, and for people to create new tools that make things like servers easier. For example, I'm willing to bet on living room servers as Internet speeds make this viable, but I'd argue that this shouldn't be part of what's decided in a group like this.