Re: User stories for Social API

On 02/04/2015 07:26 PM, Harry Halpin wrote:

>>> yes, that is not difficult. When you say client you mean browser,
>>> when you mean server you mean a machine that is usually without a
>>> display, and that is constantly bound to the internet. In my
>>> world - the world of HTTP and APIs - clients and server are just
>>> roles that computers play. A computer program can be in server
>>> role in one moment and then client the next. One multiple core
>>> machines they can be both simultaneously.  So there is no
>>> server/server api. There can only ever be client/server
>>> relations.
>> I just started wiki page for Social Web Glossary[1] I find it very
>> important to clarify terms like:
>
>> 1 App 2 Domestic Server 3 Foreign Server 4 Web Service
>
> I in general would not use the term Web Service due to its history
> with SOAP, which is a separate stack. You could say simply "website"
> (if you mean domain, ala www.example.org running separate apps in
> different iframes) or just say "platform" if you mean something more
> cross-domain, like Twitter or Google eco-systems.
website - for most people may not sound like something providing REST
API, most people may expect HTML and web browser based interaction

platform - could you drop some links showing how people use this term?

>  Ditto domestic and foreign server. Typically, one says "provider" for
> domestic server and "relying party" for foreign server.
do you think people won't get confused when my "provider" will act for
you as "relying party" and your "provider" will act for me as "relying
party"? i find terms *domestic* and *foreign* putting more emphasis on a
perspective from which we look at it and not that much on the
functionality...

> There's a good terminology section here:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/FinalReport#The_Terminology
thanks, will check this out!