Discussions about schema.org mission and governance + TPAC Social meeting invite!

From: ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ <perpetual-tripper@wwelves.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 21:41:13 +0200
To: "public-socialweb@w3.org" <public-socialweb@w3.org>, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com>, "public-social-interest@w3.org" <public-social-interest@w3.org>
Hi Social Crews, Hello Dan,

During last tele-meetings of Social WG&IG topic of schema.org came up
couple of times. Myself while also not agreeing with all aspects of it
workings, I do find BIG APPRECIATION to all the amazing work done there
with contributions from broad community on public-vocabs and github!

Today Martin Hepp shared some of his opinion about some challenges
related to schema.org governance:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2014Sep/0175.html

Then Dan Brickley replied with IMO nicely balanced take on it:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2014Sep/0179.html

I already proposed topic on schema.org for TPAC and I wonder *if Dan and
maybe another active schema.org contributor would like to join* such
session? https://www.w3.org/wiki/Talk:Socialwg/2014-10-27

BTW I think I only once met Dan IRL, and actuly during *Federated Social
Web Summit in Berlin (2011)* :D

Once again I would like to voice, that while technical, legal and
governance aspects matter a lot. Let's keep in mind broad community of
*people who will work on implementing* recommendations we work on. I
think that adding support for two very similar technologies for single
system *can cause a lot of confusion and frustration*, much more then
supporting two very different technologies. In next week(s) I'll put
some more work into comparing work from Schema.org, AcrivityStreams,
Hydra, LDP, IndieWebCamp/Microformats and possibly other relevant
developments. Once again, draft of simple side2side comparison of
as:Activity and schema:Action available here:
https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialwg/Vocabulary_Comparison#as:Activity_.7C.7C_schema:Action

Next steps for me:

1. Clarifying actions/operations on *web resources* vs. *abstract things*
2. Clarifying potential vs. compleated(+active) actions plus 2 way
relationship to their result

I hope that with some effort and *lots of good will* we can find
graceful ways forward :)

Truly Yours, a pathological optimist - ☮ elf Pavlik ☮