Re: Federated/Distributed @mentions

On 12/05/2014 12:53 AM, Amy G wrote:
> I think Google+ uses +name.
>
> And Facebook has the same mechanism but without any syntax, it's all in
> the UI (ie when you start typing someone's name you get a drop down and
> you can choose to click them/hit enter or not; if you click they are
> notified and a link through to their profile is added, if you don't,
> their name stays in plain text, and no notification is sent so far as I
> know). A quick look at the API output, and it seems like even if you
> actively tag someone you just get plain text back from the API, with no
> indication that you connected to another user.
Once again I think we shouldn't depend on any specific information
buried in the raw content. Application which someone uses for human
interaction, should generate JSON which includes all the required
information in appropriate properties (as:to, as:tag etc.) This way we
don't limit possibilities for people's creativity in designing entry
methods. I would compare it to email client, as long as it generates
proper headers it can use any kind of UI. BTW Facebook recognizes both @
and + as intent to mention another person/page, just removes it after
autocompletion.

We could still mention, in non normative section, varoius popular ways
of doing it as used by Twitter, Google+ and Facebook etc.