Re: Federated/Distributed @mentions

We've been considering various options for this in Known. I strongly
disagree with using Markdown or similar syntax for human-readable content,
because that creates a burden to support a wholly different notation in
applications that are almost certainly web-based at some level. I do think
HTML with embedded microformats / microdata is the most flexible option for
this scenario. (It also doesn't tie applications into Twitter-style
@-syntax - there's no need to let them dictate the convention.)

Dave's approach for structured data also makes sense to me. You include the
bare content, and then metadata that allows you to apply your own markup,
rather than including some other microsyntax in bare text. That again gives
application developers the most flexibility, although I would go so far as
to change "username" to "@foo" in his example, to also allow different
notations. It then becomes a simple search and replace, with a strong
suggestion that usernames are prefixed with some notation to prevent
accidents with greedy searches.

--
*Ben Werdmuller*
CEO & co-founder, Known

Known, Inc | 421 Bryant St | San Francisco, CA 94107