Re: New, Unified XG Proposal

Christine,

> Should  "finding out which aspects are worth being standardised" be done
> prior to forming the XG? Or during the XG?

Looking at [1] gives a pretty good idea what is possible. I'm not W3C team
or management, but AFAIK the XGs where introduced to address the problem
that WG would sometimes talk, put politely, a bit too long to deliver
results (maybe a W3C pro wants to chime in here and clarify this ;)

So, just as  I tell my PhD Students to look around for a year or so to
*find* a topic they'd want to go for, an XG in my understanding is
ultimately for identifying potential issues worth being standardised and
gathering about current state of the art (cf. also [2])

What you want, typically, after one year working in the XG is to go for a WG
[3] - or conclude that it is not worth it, also fair. For a recent example
outcome of an XG see [4].

> Just out of curiosity, are there, in the history of W3C, XGs which function
> well and yet are not focused on standardization?

We are operating on a standardisation bodies' turf. Now, if not
standardisation is the goal (which can in the long-term be measured by 'did
you produce a REC, and how long did it take you? How many implementers have
you got? Are there other. 'de-facto' standards around that compete with you,
etc.) of an XG - how would you measure 'functioning well'?

Cheers,
      Michael

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/#About
[2] http://www.w3.org/2008/10/GuideBook.html
[3] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/REC-track.html
[4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-rdb2rdf/2009Feb/0001.html

--
Dr. Michael Hausenblas
National University of Ireland, Lower Dangan,