Re: Vocabulary 'tutorial'?

> On 22 Mar 2015, at 22:26, Bassetti, Ann <ann.bassetti@boeing.com> wrote:
>
> What I want to understand, is how you guys anticipate using vocabularies in this project.   And what we need to  do to lay that foundation.

Well for example the well known foaf ( Friend of a friend ) vocabulary ( a.k.a Ontology )
published at

   https://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/

Allows one to write out descriptions of Agents, People, Groups and has a minimal relation to connect them such as <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/knows> or <https://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/member> .

This allows each organisation to create profiles for each of their members and for those members to then create links cross organisationally. Say you could have this in your profile

@prefix foaf: <https://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/> .

<https://people.boeing.com/anneB/card#me> foaf:knows <http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i> .

This allows you to create a distributed social network that crosses organisational boundaries: ie. it is the basis for a Social Web, which is what I demonstrated at the Face to Face a user interface for.

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxeW1uWyxuc

As it happens you don't have to invent that one since it already exists and is widely adopted. But there are many other things that are missing in foaf ( such as company hierarchy ) and in other domains having nothing to do with people that will be needed to fill the gabs. Many ontologies will allready exist, so that there may be no need to invent them in fact, but just to discover them.

AS2.0 is btw. such a vocabulary. It's just an RDFization of the Atom syntax mostly, and that is useful for finding out what has changed on a site.

To be relevant to what this group is doing,  what needs to be discussed are vocabularies that have something to do with the protocol. So I suppose one has to go from the user stories, to find vocabularies that may help there. In some cases like foaf the simple HTTP GET api suffices as an API.

So what can be done is look at the user stories

https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialwg/Social_API/User_stories#Posting_polls

and find out which of these cannot be solved using the well established ones of

* FOAF
* AS2
* LDP ontology http://www.w3.org/ns/ldp which is used for the LDP protocol
* cert ontology, Web Access Control ontology described here http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/spec/