Re: Comparing Activity Streams / Schema.org / Hydra (former: 'Fwd: Schema.org applies W3C Patent Policy')

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Markus Lanthaler
<markus.lanthaler@gmx.net> wrote:
[snip]

>> 1. For any piece of content, we need the ability to include a
>> declarative description of one or more potential actions an agent can
>> take with that content (the ability to define multiple actions per
>> object is important).
>>
>> 2. For each potential action, we need the ability to include one or
>> more declarative descriptions of how an agent can go about performing
>> those actions.
>>
>> 3. Ideally, the way we describe the Actions will be consistent with the
>> way we describe the Objects (that is, use the same core vocabulary
>> model).
>>
>> So, in other words, take an object like a Note, for instance. We need
>> to be able to say things like, "You can Like, Share or Save this
>> note". If you want to "Save" it, here are one or more ways you can do
>> that. The "one or more ways" would involve either: (a) calling a REST
>> API, (b) opening a browser view, (c) showing some embedded content or
>> (d) calling out to some external application. It's important that, as
>> part of the description of these options, any given object can have
>> multiple actions defined and that each action can have multiple ways
>> of accomplishing the action defined.
>
> And that "calling out to some external application" needs to be specified in detail I guess, right?

I've punted on this currently to see how the various deep linking
efforts would evolve. The way I've approached this is that it is
similar in nature to the way Intents work on Android, but I haven't
gone into a significant detail.

> [...]
>
>> Hydra may also provide a solution to this problem. But, to be honest, I
>> haven't looked at it in depth yet. From what I have seen, I do not
>> believe that we actually need most of what Hydra currently defines. So
>> if we opted down that path, we'd have to identify some relevant subset.
>
> Yeah, we try to simplify the creation of Web APIs in general. Here, we are more interested in a specific application domain so indeed some of Hydra's features might be irrelevant in this context.

The focus here is less on a generic description of specific REST
endpoints and more on how to carry out specific kinds of activities...
for instance: How do I "like" this article? How do I "share" this
photo? How do I "approve" this expense report? How do I "check-in" at
this location? etc.

- James