RE: RE : WS-Addressing

Thanks to all for taking care...
As we all know, when a question is well articulated, it is half of the answer.
Unfortunately, I am not able to articulate well my precise question :-(  Anyway ...

I believe the Primer is a very  good place to provide some guidance on these topics.

So I will explain my problem and leave to you finding of the solution. I am not technical enough nowadays to go in the nitty gritty details.

We need to program at a WSDL/SOAP level both synchronous and asynchronous Request Reply MEPs.
- Synchronous RR is just an RPC;
- Asynchronous RR is asynchronous at the protocol level (as opposed to WSC toolkit level asynchrony) - with http, the reply travels on a different http connection than the request; probably with a JMS binding, there is not such a distinction since there is a Reply Queue in all cases.

Notice I am not using the WSDL or SOAP MEP names, because honestly, outside of the W3C spec writers, nobody ever use these notions.

For asynchronous, we use WS-Addressing to specify:
1 - Reply and Error ports  (with wsa:Anonymous to specify a specific "reply on http backchannel" case)
2 - Correlation IDs

So this is my programming universe. Ideally, I would like to be independent of the underlying bindings, be them http or JMS. But "protocols are leaky abstractions" unfortunately, so this is almost impossible.
So let's try to minimize the leaks.

At the binding level, JMS provides queues and correlationID abstractions.

My gut feelings, that I am not able to substantiate with technical statements, is that if there is no specification on how the WSA level abstractions (ports and ID) and the JMS level abstractions (Queues and ID) are related (or unrelated), the vendors will implement in their preferred ad-hoc way and not only will the protocol leak into the programmer's code, but also the toolkit will leak.

This is already the case to-day if you try to program asynchronous Request Reply with SOAP and http.
Axis2 and CXF and WebSphere and WebLogic all behave their own specific way!

If you try to program asynchronous RR with (for example) SOAP on JMS on WebSphereMQ, you have no WS-Addressing but "the addressing and correlators of Mr. WebSphere MQ", right up there in your SOAP code. How elegant! This is not to blame IBM, I believe other vendors do the same, but I do not have the smoking gun in their case :-)

So my plea to the SOAP on JMS WG is: do not reiterate the "http binding" WG errors.
If you try to articulate in the primer how the poor soul will program the above MEPs, it will help.
People want SOAP on JMS not for the fun, but generally to get asynchronicity and Quality of Service. Otherwise, http is good enough and more ubiquitous. So just delineating in the primer that asynchronous at the SOAP level is not the same that asynchronous at the transport (JMS) level will make the picture less fuzzy.
So, you have to address WS-Addressing and also WS-RM (more fun :-)

I understand the temptation to brush this dust under somebody's else carpet, (or not to drink this chalice, if you prefer another religious metaphor :-) but if you succumb to this temptation, how can users take the W3C specs as a help rather than a hindrance?

Well, enogh said, that was my last attempt to clarify my needs, which I believe are of general interest to many, as Nathan questions show.

Thanks anyway for your time and efforts

--
Jacques Talbot - Teamlog 10 rue Lavoisier - 38330 Montbonnot
Tél: 04 76 61 37 12  Mél: jacques.talbot@teamlog.com