RE: interoperability is... ? (was: SML interop test plan)

Funny how "clear" terms become fuzzy once you try to grab them by the
tail.  My brain thinks interoperability is a continuum, and the degree to
which it is achieved == the degree to which two independently developed
implementations extract the same semantic meaning from the same input, for
each feature supported.  In this way of thinking, implementations (not
artifacts like documents or models) are more or less interoperable.
I freely admit that I have used "widely interoperable" about models
containing sml:uri, and my usage is in conflict w/ the "def" above.  A
more deliberate wording for that might be: referentially conforming SML-IF
documents are likely to have a larger number of implementations able to
process them.
My def above is consistent I think with what Kirk cited in the interop
test plan.  Either way you slice it, a sophisticated view of interop
entails understanding the set of features supported by the implementations
involved, intersected with those actually used by the models involved.

Best Regards, John

Street address: 2455 South Road, P328 Poughkeepsie, NY USA 12601
Voice: 1+845-435-9470      Fax: 1+845-432-9787

From:
"Wilson, Kirk D" <Kirk.Wilson@ca.com>
To:
"Kumar Pandit" <kumarp@windows.microsoft.com>, "Smith, Virginia (HP