RE: [w3c sml] [ISSUE 4684] sml:keyref reference to xs:key/unique

This should also cover 4995 (which blocks 4684).

A couple of minor comments.

1. In the example, you mentioned: now consider a "new model". I think you
didn't mean a new SML model, but ration a different portion
(definitions+instances) of the same SML model.

2. About the issue at the end. To make sure the implication is clear. A
QName means that the scope has to be specified by a direct child of the
current element with that QName. I like the simplicity, but not sure
whether this would be over-restrictive. I think we may want to use the
same XPath allowed on <xs:field>. This doesn't add (much) burden to
implementations, because they already need to evaluate selector/field
XPaths.

Thanks,
Sandy Gao
XML Technologies, IBM Canada
Editor, W3C XML Schema WG
Member, W3C SML WG
(1-905) 413-3255 T/L 969-3255

"Wilson, Kirk D" <Kirk.Wilson@ca.com>
Sent by: public-sml-request@w3.org

<public-sml@w3.org>
cc

Subject
RE: [w3c sml] [ISSUE 4684] sml:keyref reference to xs:key/unique

With assistance from Sandy, I think I?m now prepared to make a proposal on
how to allow sml:keyref to refer to xs:key/xs:unique.  See the attached
discussion.   Following discussion and if the proposal is accepted, I will
submit a write up to the editors and provide the necessary change for the
spec.

To briefly remind you of why we want to allow sml:keyref to refer to
xs:key/xs:unique:  The possibility exists that existing XML documents can
be used as parts of a new SML model.  That is, the SML model builder may
have to opportunity to build an SML model from documents (schema and
instance documents) that were built without any awareness that they might
have a role to play in an SML model.  The elements in these document,
which the SML model will want to reference in the new model, may already
be defined with xs:keys or xs:uniques.  It seems to be a wasted exercise
to require the SML model builder to essentially reconstruct the sml:key or
sml:unique definitions in the SML model.  Therefore, we should provide the
ability of an sml:keyref in the new model to reference the keys and
uniques found in the existing XML documents that are being referenced by
the new model.

As will be obvious from the attached, I owe Sandy credit for the
recommended solution to the problem?a new attribute for specifying the
scope of sml:keyref in the presence of inter-document references.

Kirk Wilson, Ph.D.
Research Staff Member
CA Labs
603 823-7146