RE: [w3c sml] [4688] Consider using xml:base

> ... not sure what the second bullet does or
> why it is needed.  As long as modelType has anyAttribute on it,
> which it should - if not that is a bug to be opened, xml:base can
> already be freely used and will validate, no?

Schema declarations for xml: attributes are not "built-in", so we at least
need an <import> for the "xml" namespace. After that, whether there is an
explicit reference to xml:base in "modelType" doesn't make any difference,
for schema assessment purposes. (Assuming we change "skip" to "lax" for
the attribute wildcard on "modelType".)

The only reason I thought we needed the explicit reference was that the
current <baseURI> element applies to the entire IF document. But if we go
with xml:base, then I agree that we shouldn't make the "global scope" any
different from other places where xml:base could be used.

So amended proposal:

- Remove smlif:baseURI
- <import> the "xml" namespace
- Use infoset [base URI] property in places where "smlif:baseURI" is
currently used.

It may also be helpful to explain how [base URI] works and how it's
computed; at least with a pointer to the infoset spec, and possibly to
xml:base spec.

Thanks,
Sandy Gao
XML Technologies, IBM Canada