Re: Process for WCAG 3.0 document updates

RE: Levels of Maturity

I think the idea of level of maturity labels is a great idea

There are a lot of good bits to it

But I would change one bit - which I think is critical to process

Once something is in — it is very hard to get it back out
Getting something back out - can use up a LOT of time and discussion getting it back out - slowing the group way down and creating bad feelings.
If a subgroup can put things in without WG review (for expediency) it is likely to slow down the process down much more later (much more than any time saved up front) - and again - create bad feelings.
The only reason to include something early - is to get input on it because there is a question or sticking point where input is sought.
RECOMMENDATION
That nothing go into any draft without WG consensus
The WG would be less strict about what goes in at lower levels - allowing things that it thinks might be added (there is some evidence that it might) even if wording is not worked out.
Language attached to such items would be commensurate with belief that they can make it or the concerns that need to be addressed.      And they should include a request for comment or input to address those.
If the subgroup cannot convince the working group to include something, even the lower level, it shouldn’t be there yet.
The editor’s, working, and public docs are all communication instruments of the working group - not any subgroup - so the working group should know and determine what is in its communications.

I had a second thought at the meeting but cannot recall it now.  So I will pass this one on.

Otherwise I think the basic concept — labeling things with level of Maturity — is a good one.

Best

gregg

Professor, University of Maryland, College Park
Director , Trace R&D Center, UMD