From: Detlev Fischer <detlev.fischer@testkreis.de>
Date: Wednesday, February 3, 2021 at 1:12 AM
To: "Sajka, Janina" <sajkaj@amazon.com>, Silver TF <public-silver@w3.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Use case regarding the impact of issues in secondary content on the assessment of 'substantial conformance'

On behalf of the conformance subgroup, Janina has asked me to generalise a use case that I inserted into the google docs
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GyUYTnZp0HIMdsKqCiISCSCvL0su692dnW34P81kbbw/

...based on the discussion at the end of these minutes:
https://www.w3.org/2021/01/21-silver-conf-minutes.html

My use case appears after point "4. The solution should leverage automated tests..."

I am in two minds whether generalising the case I have submitted is a good idea though. I personally like use cases to be specific (i.e. not generic) since the thoughts of us WG members as to whether or not issues described would - or should - prevent conformance hinge on an assessment of criticality for different types of users, and I believe that assessment may well depend on implementation details.
So, just generalising the case and talking about issues in primary and secondary content, and the question whether it should make a difference when issues can be detected automatically, may gloss over critical instances of actual user experience and in turn, put a blur filter on the assessment of criticality that should guide us in 'drawing the lines' when setting the tolerance levels in our new conformance concept.

For example, in the use case proposed (a feedback process where merely selecting a radio input unexpectedly submits the feedback form with no option of undo), I would imagine that there might be people with cognitive issues who really freak out when they experience that what they intended as a mere tentative selection of a radio control has been interpreted as activation (submission of a user rating) without any chance of reversal. For others, this will be trivial, they will think of it as a drop disappearing in an ocean of anonymous feedback. I also believe that (most) AGWG members discussing a revised conformance concept should have no difficulties appreciating technical details on the level included in my case.

Best,
Detlev