From: Katie Haritos-Shea <ryladog@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, December 9, 2021 at 1:59 PM
To: Mary Jo Mueller <maryjom@us.ibm.com>
Cc: Silver Community Group <public-silver@w3.org>
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] [Conformance] Definition of Compliance vs. conformance

I hear Gregg Vanderheiden in my ear saying "You comply with laws and conform to standards" from years ago. Not sure he trumps standards bodies....

On Thu, Dec 9, 2021, 4:45 PM Mary Jo Mueller <maryjom@us.ibm.com<mailto:maryjom@us.ibm.com>> wrote:
Hi all,

After the meeting I was addressing some input from a colleague on definitions and what is already defined and available in ISO and IEC standards.  Since standards harmonization is a definite concern, it seems there's a variety of usage and definition of "Compliance", "Comply", "Conformance", Conform" and in ISO and IEC standards there are multiple instances where the definition of one of these terms includes the other term. So I'm not sure how successful we will be trying to tease apart terms that have been clearly used interchangeably for a while.

Here's a link to the ISO standards page where you can perform a search on terms to see how they are defined and in what standards they are defined.
· ISO Online Browsing Platform (OBP) https://www.iso.org/obp/uiand select the Terms & Definitions radio button
· IEC maintains its own platform, similar to ISO https://www.electropedia.org/and check the Search also in definitions checkbox.  For example:

For example from an IEC Internet of Things standard:

compliance

characteristic<https://www.electropedia.org/iev/iev.nsf/display?openform&ievref=741-01-06> of conformance to rules, such as those defined by a law, a regulation<https://www.electropedia.org/iev/iev.nsf/display?openform&ievref=901-02-10>, a standard<https://www.electropedia.org/iev/iev.nsf/display?openform&ievref=901-02-02>, or a policy

So maybe we should just concede that these are used interchangeably and use this definition.

Best regards,

Mary Jo
Mary Jo Mueller
Accessibility Standards Program Manager
IBM Accessibility

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader." ~John Quincy Adams