Re: Captioning Zoom Calls [was: Re: Agenda for Silver meeting of Tuesday, 12 May 2020]

I think we all agree that captioning would be helpful for meeting
attendees.  I certainly would appreciate and use it myself, as I find
reading less fatiguing than listening.

However, we presently don't have an a disability accommodation request.
It is more difficult to find funding for captioning without an
accommodation request. I would be delighted to have people with hearing
disabilities participate in the group. It is a chicken-and-egg problem,
because people don't want to participate unless they have an accommodation.

Captions would not replace IRC, however.  Captions would not provide an
archived meeting record, which we need by W3C advice to working groups.
And I don't think we should dismiss that need. On many many occasions, I
have searched the W3C archives for meeting minutes.  We also would not
want the official meeting minutes to be the result of captions, as it
would preclude any casual or confidential conversation that we did not
want in the permanent record.  I personally would find it exhausting to
"always be on the record".  IRC minutes are intended to be more of a
summary of main points than everything that is said.

There are  two problems (as I understand it):

  * Finding a free captioning service or autocaptioning service, or
    finding a captioning service that a W3C member company was willing
    to pay for.
  * Setting up someone in the group as a "host"  to be able to start the
    service each meeting.

These are both solvable problems.  If anyone knows of a free
auto-captioning service, or works for a company that has a pro Zoom
membership and a relationship with a captioning company that would be
willing to include our Zoom calls as part of the service, please let me
know.  Michael is working on the "host" problem from the W3C end.  I
have looked at several "free captioning services" and the ones I have
seen are attached to a commitment to the provider of the captions for
other paid services. I am happy to be wrong about this, if anyone knows
of one.

W3C is experimenting with captioning for a few meetings.  I don't know
how the funding was arranged for the meetings, but I am watching the
results.  So the other option we have is to wait and see what W3C
decides to do and how it will be paid for.  But until something else is
decided within W3C, and lacking an accommodation request, we will need
to pursue solutions ourselves.

I have been searching the Zoom site and have not found auto-captioning
as a service they provide. Again, I would love to be wrong about that.

jeanne