Re: Extra normative level?

Hi Jeanne,

All of the plain language examples we've seen to date lack enough
specificity to be a normative requirement IMHO.

Take Clear Language.
The current "Requirement" states: *Use clear language to make it easier for
readers to understand. *

Without a clear metric to measure that however, it is a meaningless ask, as
nobody will be able to effectively evaluate whether or not the goal has
been met: I can claim it's clear and easy to understand, you can claim it's
not, and then what?

(I'll note that the current draft example
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LfzTd_8WgTi0IUOOjUCRfRQ7e7__FRcnZow4w7zLlkY/edit#>
has, as a "requirement" the following: "Remove unnecessary words" - my
question is, unnecessary to whom? The end-user with a University degree
reading level vocabulary, or the end-user with a Grade 6 reading level
vocabulary? Would this be "better": "Use clear language - make easier
understand" - there, I removed "unnecessary" words... Additionally, that
very much feels like an "English" language requirement, but does that apply
to all languages? Spanish is significantly more 'compact' than English,
with different grammar rules - "rules" that already remove superfluous
words, so I will argue against that measurement rule as being too
English-centric)
In the context of the W3C being a place where we create STANDARDS, I will
suggest that the "normative" parts are the measurable standardized parts,
everything else is backgrounder and explanation and non-normative. Merriam
Webster backs me up:

* <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/standard>**Normative
<https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/normative>*: of, relating to,
or determining norms or *standards*

*Standard* <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/standard>: something
set up and established by authority as *a rule for the measure of quantity,
weight, extent, value, or quality*

I fully appreciate that today there remains a fair bit of subjectivity to
our evaluation process (what, exactly, is appropriate alt text?), but it
seems to me we should be trying to squeeze out the subjectivity, not add to
it. A vaguely worded, hard-to-measure "normative" requirement is, frankly,
an oxymoron IMHO.

* <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/normative>*

JF

--
*​John Foliot* | Principal Accessibility Strategist | W3C AC Representative
Deque Systems - Accessibility for Good