Re: Task testing structure

John,

In your previous straw-man example, a decision had been taken that the
> "pizza game" isn't part of the task of ordering a pizza, so you then argue
> it's out of scope.

I've offered that case as the pizza store owners arguing that it doesn't
need to go into scope, so we could talk through that conflict case. I
haven't made the case that things should remain out of scope for
accessibility, but that different scopes of accessibility should express
conformance.

And while I'll note that VPATS have a notion of "supporting with
> exceptions", and accept that we're going to see something similar with the
> Silver scoring methods, I personally will strenuously oppose selective
> scoping at the page or site level. There is a world of difference in saying
> "We've got an 85% Accessibility score, INCLUDING our non-accessible game"
> versus "We got to 85% conformance by REMOVING the game from our test
> scope".

Totally agreed for the desired end goal of complete coverage! I mean more
that for this increasingly strained example, the pizza place could have one
conformance claim for real-life-pizza-related tasks, and a second for the
pizza game.

The NY Times with crossword puzzles as its own scope, separate from the
actually-news-articles scope, probably makes a better example.

Jonathan put it quite well, I think. I've offered the word "task" for this,
while readily admitting that I don't like the term. I just haven't come
across a better thing to mean "the thing the user wants to do". Users don't
want to visit web pages, they want to read an article or play a game or
post a picture or something.

 Also I would recommend we keep non-interference requirements that
> acknowledge some issues on a page can prevent any content on that page from
> being accessible.

Definitely, and I want to make sure that this aspect addresses any risks to
element-level scoping. We've talked through a few ideas on this at the test
or guideline level, but looking forward to working through more tomorrow
(and beyond)!

-Shawn