Re: the inportents of simplification

On 30/10/2019 13:30, Hall, Charles (DET-MRM) wrote:
> The W3C Process 2020 (continuous development) is one potential option
> for Silver where document conventions like this could be iterated on – I
> believe after Recommendation status – through an open process. I don’t
> believe we have solved for the governance and change management of
> guidelines yet.

The W3C Process governs the way specifications are produced at the W3C,
but not the way the documents themselves are marked up. That is handled
by the different publication processors used at W3C or the people
editing the specification.

In the case of the ARIA specification, I believe it should be
technically possible to change the multiple "Note" h5 headings to be
more context specific, but I'm not sure it would be a good idea to do
so. It would make the headings longer and harder to read in many cases.

Although the ARIA specification is large and complex, it does implement
multiple ways of getting to the bit you're interested in:

* The heading structure is robust throughout the document. For example,
in the section where all the roles are defined, each role is indicated
with an h4, and any notes relating to that role are an h5. This is all
preceeded with the expected h1, h2, h3 hierarchy.

* The table of contents links through to different sections, and
although not down to the level of individual roles, it does link to the
start of the "5.4 Definition of roles" section.

The one change I think could be made, is taking the word "role" out of
parenthesis in the h4 headings. At the moment the heading is "note
(role)", which means searching for "Note role" doesn't work.

I've opened an issue on the ARIA repository to suggest this:
https://github.com/w3c/aria/issues/1108

This is the best place to file issues with the ARIA specification,
whatever they may be. It's where all the people working on and
contributing to the ARIA spec are paying most attention, and are most
likely to respond.

Hope this helps.
Léonie.

--