Re: What if Silver didn't have levels?

I hope Silver will be simpler than WCAG, not more complicated... the
currently discussed point system concerns me because it seems more
complicated than our current conformance model...  Of course it could be
based on the idea that you have to get more complicated in order to truly
simplify something...  I'll be interested to see what emerges...

If you flatten the structure away from the 3 levels then we'd need a
separate place to put the types of requirements that we previously had in
AAA (SC in WCAG, Methods in Silver), which although they were often good
ideas they were place in AAA for a reason, possibly for one of the
following:

-  context dependent, and in some contexts they could make a site less
accessible.
-  couldn't apply across languages
-  couldn't apply across technologies (or couldn't be scoped to, say,
markup languages)
- *really hard to do* and not practical across organizations
- not a mature solution yet, not well supported by AT, or no current AT to
make use of it
- couldn't be tested with assurance (In silver that might mean they are not
"measurable")

Perhaps there could be a separate Best Practices doc for those types of
things.

Cheers,
David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*