Re: Conformance and method 'levels'

From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 15:36:52 +0000
To: John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com>
CC: Silver Task Force <public-silver@w3.org>
> however I think we can set it up in such a way that the "hard testing", which I agree takes more time and money, will be valuable enough "score-wise" that it will be worth the effort.

Something we should encourage is to slipstream other activity.

For example, lots of our clients at the larger end of the scale already have mature user-experience programmes. I.e. They already do regular usability testing.

If a company is already doing good work in making their site usable (following a UCD or similar methodology) there is no point running duplicate activity.

Therefore, if a company can tweak their current user-research programme to incorporate accessibility, we should encourage that. E.g. running at least 1/5 research sessions with someone with a disability, or including particular scenarios in their testing.

We shouldn‘t assume it will be a separate activity. But, we should make clear what that activity needs to include in order to score silver-points.

-Alastair