Re: thoughts points system for silver

I hear you, and the history, and also live in a world of time and materials.

Point of clarification:

I did not mean to suggest that measuring effort itself is not possible. However, I am suggesting that the level of effort to conduct this type of inclusive usability testing, and the level of effort to subsequently make design decisions and/or refactor any development, and then to prove causality of outcome is directly related to both sets of efforts is not possible because it includes too many subjective variables.

I am also suggesting that it should not matter. If the functional needs are met to travel from point a to point b, a 25 year old Yugo is as sufficient as a brand new Ferrari.

This position also supports the core notion that the web is accessible by default. It takes poor decisions to break that. Advocacy outside of the guidelines (most often) tells this story. Remediation is expensive. Designing inclusively is (nearly) free. My hope is that the guidelines help reinforce this type of narrative. If the guideline and conformance to it suggests that good alt text is difficult and expensive, that is a distorted lens and a disincentive. I teach our copywriters this (excerpt from presentation):

“To say, ‘A steaming mug of freshly brewed espresso’ is more accurate, meaningful and entertaining than ‘coffee’ and required no more effort.
However, it is more effort for the screen reader user if you overdo it and describe the entire scene and context.”

The impact on the creator is variable and ephemeral. Business models and market conditions drive creators to continuously find better and less expensive or alternative paths to solutions. In the alt text example, I could learn that I can cut my copywriter and photography budget in half by telling better stories and using fewer images to do it – which had the added benefit of being more performant. So, I spent less effort to achieve more accessibility. I could also have spent zero in the first place if I am a small business using free images from Unsplash that came with alternative text and accreditation. In either scenario, I should not earn fewer points.

I would also argue that some AAA criteria have no additional impact on creators than similar AA  or A criteria, like 1.4.6 compared to 1.4.3. It takes zero extra effort to decide upon 2 colors with a 7:1 ratio as it does 2 colors with a 4.5:1 ratio. The exact same applies to 2.3.2 compared to 2.3.1. “Don’t do it at all” is arguably easier to meet than “don’t do it unless.”

I am not saying that we ignore this impact on creator / level of effort factor. I honestly don’t know how or where best to consider it. But basing points and ultimately conformance on something so widely variable and not directly tied to human impact seems counterintuitive.

Charles Hall // Senior UX Architect

(he//him)
charles.hall@mrm-mccann.com<mailto:charles.hall@mrm-mccann.com?subject=Note%20From%20Signature>
w 248.203.8723
m 248.225.8179
360 W Maple Ave, Birmingham MI 48009
mrm-mccann.com<https://www.mrm-mccann.com/>

[MRM//McCann]
Relationship Is Our Middle Name

Network of the Year, Cannes Lions 2019
Ad Age Agency A-List 2016, 2017, 2019
Ad Age Creativity Innovators 2016, 2017
Ad Age B-to-B Agency of the Year 2018
North American Agency of the Year, Cannes 2016
Leader in Gartner Magic Quadrant 2017, 2018, 2019
Most Creatively Effective Agency Network in the World, Effie 2018, 2019