TED talk on algorithm bias

From: Jeanne Spellman <jspellman@spellmanconsulting.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 10:20:36 -0400
To: Silver Task Force <public-silver@w3.org>
Cyborg asked me to send this around and asks that those working on
conformance watch it:

TED Task:  Cathy O'Neil - Weapons of Math Destruction

There is a short version and the full version

Short version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2u_eHHzRto

Full version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQHs8SA1qpk

I watched the short version and  thought it was well done. It is about
various kinds of bias and not specific to PwD.   Her points about the
data of the past continuing a bias into the future are cautionary.   We
do not collect big data and our formulas are not sophisticated AI
algorithms, but the principles she cautions about apply, IMO.  There are
people in accessibility doing research on algorithmic bias against PwD,
and there are broader lessons from the research that could apply to our
work.