Minutes of the Silver meeting of 10 April 2018

Formatted version of the minutes:


Text version of the minutes:


      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                    Silver Task Force Teleconference

10 Apr 2018


          kirkwood, Jan, chaals, JohnR



          jeanne, chaals


     * [2]Topics
         1. [3]GitHub stuff
         2. [4]plain language vs simple language
         3. [5]Review the report from Design Sprint & prototyping
         4. [6]plain language vs simple language
         5. [7]Plain language
         6. [8]Next Meeting
     * [9]Summary of Action Items
     * [10]Summary of Resolutions

GitHub stuff

   <jeanne> scribe: jeanne

   <Lauriat> Silver in GitHub: [11]https://github.com/w3c/silver

     [11] https://github.com/w3c/silver

   Shawn: Thanks to Michael, we now have a github repository. It's
   currently just a structure.
   ... we have a branch for master
   ... and directories for Requirements and Prototypes

   <jemma> my git account is a11ydoer

   <Charles> my git account is hallmedia (Charles Hall)

   <chaals> [my git account is chaals ]

   Michael: You will receive an email and then you will have to
   accept that invite.
   ... Jeanne and Shawn will have the ability to add more people
   to the repo.

   Jeanne: We are not going to jump into Github use without
   training and bringing the whole group into using Github.

   Michael: There is training infomation at the bottom of the
   Github file list and we should do a Github training at some

   Shawn: We will need to figure out how we integrate Github into
   our work.

plain language vs simple language

Review the report from Design Sprint & prototyping


     [12] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p3KDazY8nYb_5f-F8tHRfiKubHthXwxXa6wj2Riru0k/edit?usp=sharing

   <chaals> scribe: chaals

   JS: I haven't finished the report yet.
   ... started moving information into the report, the problem
   statements, going to bring in an intro to silver, started
   bringing in the design sprint results by table.
   ... That turned out to be more work than I could do in the time
   I had. I did bring in each table's summary. The whole thing
   needs to be broken up and soteed by problem statement and made
   somewhat consistent.
   ... then we need to write up what we want to know more about
   and invite people to do more prototypes.
   ... Don't think there is a lot for people to work on yet beyond
   checking that the format makes sense, or suggesting what
   direction we are / should be going in.

   JK: Can we please have a goal for the document?

   JS: Sure. What should it be?

   JK: Who is this for? What does it try to tell them?
   ... maybe just a couple of sentences.
   ... So people understand what sort of contributions they should
   be making
   ... So the problem statements listed in each table, they came
   out of the design sprint, but how do they fit into what we are
   doing - are they the only ones, where did they come from, are
   we thinking of more...?

   JS: Background... we did research in TF and collected some from
   elsewhere, and that identified 11 problem statements related to
   the struccture of silver. Those were developed and fed into the
   Design Sprint, where some of them were chosen as work items at
   the Design Sprint.
   ... This document describes what happened at the Design Sprint
   as we worked on those.
   ... But that information was gathered in 5 sets organised by
   who worked together, whereas people will want to find out what
   work was done per problem statement.
   ... (And making that translation table was the bit that was
   harder than I thought it would be).
   ... We need that so we can clarify what are the next steps, and
   what sort of contributions will help us on that path.

   CH: To add to that, we are open to other problem statements,
   those are just the ones we worked on during that event.

   Jill: is there a starting point to explore all the information?

   JS: Not yet - that is what we are trying to put into place in
   this report.
   ... we have a research summary document, linked from this
   report draft.
   ... I am hoping to get this finished by Friday. Help welcome

plain language vs simple language

   [discussion about how we collect information...]


     [13] https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/wiki/Main_Page

   JS: I try to move things into the Wiki as we wrap them up

   CH: It would be good to continue having the "upcoming tasks"

   <jeanne> [14]upcoming tasks...

     [14] https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10p-8-v-XqRllBaX_eTiXXvyyDYeft8GRiN3_11V3U0w/edit?usp=sharing


   CH: Should we update a timeline?


Plain language

   JS: Tables 4 and 5 were working on this...

   SL: There is a standard for "Simple Language", so if we are
   going to use that we need to work out what we mean and how to
   make sure it helps make Silver easier to use.

   JR: There is an attempt at a simple technical langauge for the
   aerospace industry, but the direction to go is following the
   "plain language" standards published in teh US and Europe.
   ... I have been gathering these and testing how well they work
   in terms of actually helping people write stuff that other
   peole understand better.
   ... If people with intellectual disabilities can understand
   content, that is a useful proxy for whether something
   communicates better.
   ... I'm working on using AI to take this and simplify we text
   on a large scale. So I am interested in helping convey what
   silver does in an easy-to-understand way internationally.
   ... The simpler the language we use, the more useful automatic
   translation will be.

   [suggest trying some other auto-translators out there that are
   widely used in other countries, but that's an operational

   SL: Do you have a pointer to recommendations on how to create
   plain language?

   JR: That's tricky. You will find things that are vague. It is
   hard to know if you have done it right.
   ... Most things you find do not just say what you need to

   CH: So you think we should make our own way to do this?

   JR: We could look at my work first. That would save some time.
   ... I will work on that to make it better.

   Kelsey: Sounds useful. You have looked at AI, and aerospace.

   JR: People who work on those things want to make it easy to
   read the things they write.
   ... So they did work on how to do that.
   ... I also worked on how Watson can help make things easy to
   ... And I look at what works well.

   <kirkwood> maybe a list of primary source of information would
   be helpful with Silver’s introduction ot it and it’s usefulness
   for Silver included? [a thought]

   CH: If we want to do this, where do we start?

   JR: Give me text and I can use my rules on it. Then we can see
   how that works.

   [15]Some text written by table 4

     [15] https://chaals.github.io/proto-silver/atc18/videoAccessibility.html

   <scribe> scribe: chaals

   JS: have you tried to run WCAG text through your rules?

   JR: Not yet. I will try to do that as a next step

   CH: To work out what is the next step, can you show us what
   rules you use to make plain language?

   JR: Should we work on a sample first?
   ... We should try that first. If you like it we should do more.

   CH: Sure.

   JR: That would help me test if my rules work well.

   SL: This fits with a task we want to do. We want to try
   rewriting WCAG 2.1 as plain language.

   <Lauriat> Chaals: I dropped a link in to what we worked on
   during the design sprint on video accessibility.

   [+1 to taking some text from WCAG to test it]

   SL: Let's coordinate through email. Jeanne and I will work on
   setting up GitHub.

Next Meeting

   Jemma: Friday meating time?

   SL: 2pm US Eastern - 1900Z. ! hour meeting.


   [thanks all]

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]

Received on Tuesday, 10 April 2018 14:39:50 UTC