Re: AW: AW: Constraints on a property in a SKOS hierarchy

On 2021-09-23 5:10 pm, felix@sasakiatcf.com wrote:

> That works well, thanks, Holger.
>
> A side note about editing processes and validation.
>
> Then I edit a property and the whole graph is validated, an error like
> “two instances of the property in one branch” is detected.
>
> Then I edit a property and only the node the property is attached to
> is validated, errors are only detected if the duplicate node is
> **above** the node I am editing.
>
> I guess this issue could be handled by adding another sh:property with
> sh:and :
>
> ex:BranchShape
>     a sh:NodeShape ;
>     sh:targetSubjectsOf ex:myProperty ;
>
> sh:and (
>     sh:property [
>         sh:path ( [ sh:oneOrMorePath skos:broader ] ex:myProperty ) ;
>         sh:maxCount 0 ;
>     ]
>
>     sh:property [
>         sh:path ( sh:inversePath ex:myProperty [ sh:oneOrMorePath
> skos:broader ]) ;
>         sh:maxCount 0 ;
>     ]
>
> ).

First, sh:and is never needed and you can simply pull up the two
property shapes into ex:BranchShape.

Second, the SHACL standard itself doesn't prescribe what to do in
incremental validation, although the usual behavior would be to validate
all constraints that target the changed node(s).

Can't you simply walk the constraint check in both directions, e.g.

ex:BranchShape
     a sh:NodeShape ;
     sh:targetSubjectsOf ex:myProperty ;
     sh:property [ # walk up to parents (broader)
         sh:path ( [ sh:oneOrMorePath skos:broader ] ex:myProperty ) ;
         sh:maxCount 0 ;
     ] ;
     sh:property [ # walk down into children (narrower)
         sh:path ( [ sh:oneOrMorePath [ sh:inversePath skos:broader ] ]
ex:myProperty ) ;
         sh:maxCount 0 ;
     ] ;

Holger