Re: Question on SHACL resources

On 2021-11-13 9:10 pm, Sasaki, Felix wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I see more and more industry interest in SHACL. To foster adoption, I
> am wondering where to find resources, e.g.:
>
>   * SHACL shapes for widely used standard vocabularies e.g. mentioned
>     at https://lov.linkeddata.es/dataset/lov

Which of those would you like to see covered in particular?

I notice that the Dublin Core vocabs are rather vague and consist mostly
of properties only, making them hard to capture as SHACL. We do have a
reasonably complete coverage of SKOS and SKOS-XL in our product
workspace, and many other SHACL ontologies in production. But as most
users of this technology, these versions are not published on regular
"Linked Data" URLs. In our practice as vendor we are aware of many
projects that use SHACL, yet they typically remain in private
ontologies, for dedicated enterprise-specific tasks.

A notable exception is https://datashapes.org/schema which is a SHACL
copy of schema.org

It would be a great initiative to start pulling such vocabularies
together into a consistent publicly maintained repo, but such a project
would need a dedicated leader. We have converters from OWL/RDFS to SHACL
that may help quickly populate such a repo.

>  *
>

>   * SHACL use cases with example shapes (the SHACL spec has a lot of
>     examples, but these are grouped by feature – it is sometimes hard
>     to find the right feature for a given need)

There is space for a SHACL book and more tutorials, for sure. We did
publish some at https://www.topquadrant.com/technology/shacl/

>  *
>

>   * Various types of tooling, esp. editors

TopBraid EDG covers SHACL, but that's a commercial tool.

>  *
>

> This list is very helpful to ask technical questions about SHACL.
> Where should I go to find “the community” that could help to gather
> (and extend) information as above?

This mailing list here is quite OK I think. As usual, much discussion
also happens on other channels such as Twitter. A general Slack or
Gitter channel would be cool if anyone here is willing to set this up?

In general, yes we do see a lot of uptake of SHACL too, but much more
"community" should arise. We at TopQuadrant can only do so much alone...

Holger