RE: seedling topic list for SWUI06

Hi Lloyd, all,

This is a really interesting list, and a great focal point for the SWUI
community; very encouraging, thanks :) Taking you up on your offer, I'd
like to offer a couple of comments/propose some changes in three areas:

1. Tasks/Goals -> Search/Browse
2. User as author: publishing/sharing
3. Personal/social challenges brought about by Semantic Web

1. Tasks/Goals -> Search/Browse
I believe the emphasis on search/browse in web usage obscures a real
understanding of the goal of the user. At the same time a semantic web
has the potential to deliver tools that truly support more varied tasks
and activities online; the search engines and point-n-click hypertext of
the conventional web are just one way of seeing the web. On that basis I
think there'd be value in nesting Search and Browse within a category
related to Tasks/Activities in general and how the user experience of
these is changed by a semantic web.

2. User as author: publishing/sharing
This deserves a category of its own in my view, divorced from the all
but the last of its three subtopics ("approachable interfaces"). Perhaps
nesting Publishing within a broader Tasks/Activities heading might
highlight some commonalities with a tasks/activities viewpoint.

3. Personal/social challenges brought about by Semantic Web
The "trust" and "community dymanics" points currently under "user as
author" have broader applicability in my opinion, and may warrant a
category of their own (perhaps something like "Personal/social
challenges brought about by Semantic Web"). This would allow other
related topics such as privacy and identity on the semantic web to be
encompassed. (aside: SW privacy was even discussed by BBC News after
WWW2006, so this issue will certainly be big in the public mind).

Naturally I'd be interested to hear what others think about these ideas
:)

Best wishes,

Tom.

--