Re: Minutes of last week's (Dec 2) HL7 ITS RDF Subgroup / W3C HCLS COI call -- Review of FHIR ontology approaches (cont.)

Dear all,

I have hardly participated in any of the calls lately and am coming at
this as a bit of an outsider. From my reading it indeed seems that any
officially accepted RDF version of FHIR data would use a code + code
system representation of 'concepts' from controlled vocabularies /
ontologies. In this case, however, I doubt that the added benefit of
having an RDF version  is rather minimal and does not outweigh the added
complexity of an additional representation besides XML and JSON.

The potential benefit of FHIR over other existing approaches (such as
some previous HL7 standards) is simplicity and accessibility through
standard tooling.

The potential benefits of an RDF/OWL representation of health data are
bridging the data model-terminology gap, an intuitive representation of
medical information and easy querying and interlinking of the resulting
data via intuitive SPARQL queries.

I hope I'm wrong, but my impression is that a simple, mostly syntactic
mapping of FHIR in RDF might end up having neither of these qualities,
combining the worst rather than the best of both worlds. A more
sophisticated mapping, on the other hand, might not allow round-tripping
the data and would probably not be accepted as part of the official FHIR
project.

Am I overly sceptical here?

With kind regards,
Matthias Samwald

--
Assistant Professor
Center for Medical Statistics, Informatics, and Intelligent Systems