RE: Minutes of last week's (Dec 2) HL7 ITS RDF Subgroup / W3C HCLS COI call -- Review of FHIR ontology approaches (cont.)

I think it would benefit for this discussion to be based on a concrete example – to make sure we are on the same page:

Advance apologies for inappropriate use of terminology (as I am new to FHIR)

FHIR has a Resource called Condition.

Let’s say we define a new Resource called Diabetes (since FHIR is extensible) which is a subclass of Condition

Condition and Diabetes is what I refer to as “Elements” of FHIR

Now we can leverage the sameAs/subClassOf constructs to map FHIR Resource Diabetes to the Snomed Concept Diabetes.

Leveraging RDF/OWL constructs enables us to map FHIR “elements” to any purpose specific ontologies – e.g., Snomed (for CDS), MedDRA (for CTs), ICD10/ICD11 (for healthcare claims processing and reimbursement)

Furthermore, this approach gives us the flexibility to map to OWL expressions which can be used to model Snomed postco-ordinations as well.

For now – just want to make sure we are on the same page – we can figure out whether this approach has value, is feasible etc. later.

---Vipul