Re: owl:sameAs - Is it used in a right way?

On 3/20/13 10:58 PM, David Booth wrote:

> Thus, to be very clear, under the existing RDF Semantics
> specification, a given URI does *not* necessarily map to only one
> resource.

True, but I don't think the statement above always provides the clarity
intended.

"Resource" is a synonym of "Entity" as *now* clearly stated in the
latest RDF concepts guide [1]. Once we get over the conflation inherent
in "Resource" and look towards "Entity" the issue starts to get much
clearer, as exemplified by RDF based Linked Data [2] and its specific
use of URIs to denote "Entities" while also identifying their
"Descriptor Documents".

All "Resources" aren't of the same medium. The Web, Internet are mediums
distinct from the medium we *refer to* as the real-world. Thus, the
claim that everything is a "Resource" without medium specificity is one
of the ultimate recipes for unproductive debate and confusion, as a
zillion mail threads over the years have demonstrated.

In the context of RDF, a URI denotes an Entity.
In the context of RDF based Linked Data, a URI denotes an Entity in a
manner that enables it resolve to a Web Document (denoted by its own URI
which is usually a URL) that describes the denoted entity (aka. URI
referent) .

Links:
1. http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#resources-and-statements --
showcasing the critical "Resource" fix