Re: owl:sameAs - Is it used in a right way?

On 3/15/13 4:40 PM, Jeremy J Carroll wrote:
> I think Jim's solution looks to me like the best realistic one going
> forward … having somewhat looser variants of owl:sameAs and ask people
> to be a bit honest with their use of sameAs …
>
> For Alan's approach, I feel a problem is that what we are doing is
> making an approximate model of the world, not a completely accurate copy.
> Alan is of course correct that the description and the thing are
> different, and if we want to be precise we would make that clear, and
> failing to make this distinction may lead us into trouble; but
> whenever we say anything about anything, the things we didn't say
> greatly out-number the things we did say, and making a judgment as to
> what is important is hard, and people will get it wrong.
>
> I think most people, most of the time, do not want to be bothered
> saying, "Well this is my opinion, and your opinion may differ, and
> believe me if you wish" …. which is what making the careful
> distinction between the thing and its description amounts to.
>
> So IMO, Alan is correct, but somehow missing the point.
>
> Jeremy

Attempting address a variety of issues associated with this thread, via
links to posts that include live demo links:

1. http://bit.ly/Y6TIfs -- a note demonstrating the use
owl:InverseFunctional relation semantics, conditionally
2. http://bit.ly/UydU9t -- similar exercise whereby FOAF and vCard are
mapped
3. http://bit.ly/WmKlJ0 -- similar exercise overtly covering symmetry,
inverseOf (quietly demonstrating transitivity)
4. http://bit.ly/YgLgtk -- looking for ontologies that define a "Likes"
relation from a Virtuoso instance hosting 55 Billion+ triples.

Kingsley

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen