From: Kingsley Idehen [mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:38 AM
To: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org
Subject: Re: Facebook's new Graph Search: An endorsement of the RDF approach to healthcare data?

On 1/16/13 8:12 PM, Rafael Richards wrote:
> Yesterday Facebook announced a new feature called Graph Search.  This
> Graph includes 1 billion people,  240 billion photos, and over 1
> trillion connections.
>
> Graph search is privacy aware:  every piece of content has its own
> specified audience. Most content is not public; you can only search
> for content that has been shared with you.
>
> http://readwrite.com/2013/01/15/facebook-graph-search
> https://newsroom.fb.com/News/562/Introducing-Graph-Search-Beta
> https://newsroom.fb.com/Photos-and-B-Roll/4321/Graph-Search-Announcment
>

> RDF data stores are also currently capable of  loading a trillion
> triples ("connections"), and we have hardware such as the Cray
> purpose built for graph analytics.
>
> http://www.franz.com/about/press_room/trillion-triples.lhtml
> http://www.cray.com/Products/BigData/uRiKA.aspx
> http://investors.cray.com/phoenix.zhtml?ID=1766098&c=98390&p=irol-newsArticle
>

> There is also work done on a natural language query interface for RDF
> using Cyc as the foundation ontology.
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/sweo/public/UseCases/ClevelandClinic/#figure3
>
> While not a "success story" of RDF per se,  Graph Search (if anyone
> knows what its actual technology is)  may be at least an endorsement
> of the RDF-like approach to managing, repurposing, and securing data.
>
> Is there any reason to believe that an RDF-based system could not also:
> 1. Enable similar storage and query as Graph Search?
> 2. Provide similar data-atomic granular control of privacy of
> (personal or healthcare) data similar to that of Graph Search?
>

> Rafael
>

> _____________________
> Rafael Richards MD MS
Rafael,

Also note that there is a live 55 Billion+ triples instance of the LOD
Cloud cache that showcases what's always been possible re. Linked Data,
RDF, and machine readable Entity Relationship Semantics.

Links:

1. http://lod2.openlinksw.com -- live instance
2. http://bit.ly/11ezuCz -- detailed instance report covering loading
and some simple analytics
3. http://bit.ly/W8MYMj -- Uniprot citations overview
4. http://bit.ly/13HGvwX -- Bio2RDF entities associated with Genetic
Dissorders
5. http://bit.ly/101tE55 -- Biopax data sources by collective attributes .

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen

The contents of this message may contain private, protected and/or privileged information.  If you received this message in error, you should destroy the e-mail message and any attachments or copies, and you are prohibited from retaining, distributing, disclosing or using any information contained within.  Please contact the sender and advise of the erroneous delivery by return e-mail or telephone.  Thank you for your cooperation.