Re: Facebook's new Graph Search: An endorsement of the RDF approach to healthcare data?

On 1/16/13 8:12 PM, Rafael Richards wrote:
> Yesterday Facebook announced a new feature called Graph Search.  This
> Graph includes 1 billion people,  240 billion photos, and over 1
> trillion connections.
>
> Graph search is privacy aware:  every piece of content has its own
> specified audience. Most content is not public; you can only search
> for content that has been shared with you.
>
> http://readwrite.com/2013/01/15/facebook-graph-search
> https://newsroom.fb.com/News/562/Introducing-Graph-Search-Beta
> https://newsroom.fb.com/Photos-and-B-Roll/4321/Graph-Search-Announcment
>

> RDF data stores are also currently capable of  loading a trillion
> triples ("connections"), and we have hardware such as the Cray
> purpose built for graph analytics.
>
> http://www.franz.com/about/press_room/trillion-triples.lhtml
> http://www.cray.com/Products/BigData/uRiKA.aspx
> http://investors.cray.com/phoenix.zhtml?ID=1766098&c=98390&p=irol-newsArticle
>

> There is also work done on a natural language query interface for RDF
> using Cyc as the foundation ontology.
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/sweo/public/UseCases/ClevelandClinic/#figure3
>
> While not a "success story" of RDF per se,  Graph Search (if anyone
> knows what its actual technology is)  may be at least an endorsement
> of the RDF-like approach to managing, repurposing, and securing data.
>
> Is there any reason to believe that an RDF-based system could not also:
> 1. Enable similar storage and query as Graph Search?
> 2. Provide similar data-atomic granular control of privacy of
> (personal or healthcare) data similar to that of Graph Search?
>

> Rafael
>

> _____________________
> Rafael Richards MD MS
Rafael,

Also note that there is a live 55 Billion+ triples instance of the LOD
Cloud cache that showcases what's always been possible re. Linked Data,
RDF, and machine readable Entity Relationship Semantics.

Links:

1. http://lod2.openlinksw.com -- live instance
2. http://bit.ly/11ezuCz -- detailed instance report covering loading
and some simple analytics