Re: OpenDDx project

If I may,  I wish to offer a view to a possible expansion of the scope
of this important project.

In a paper "Just for me: topic maps and ontologies"
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2096517 (and available as a pdf
online at citeseer)
Adam Cheyer and I tell about an approach to expanding the DARPA
project CALO's capabilities by wrapping CALO's ontology with a topic
map:

"The development of the IRIS semantic desktop platform has provided
illumination of some important issues associated with the collection
and manipulation of knowledge assets that are organized by an
ontology. We explore those issues related to the personalization of
the workspace and of the knowledge assets manipulated by IRIS users.
We show that a topic map can provide a necessary mediation between the
formal organization provided by an ontology to serve the needs of
semantic interoperability between workstations and the individual's
need to personalize the workspace in a just for me fashion."

In my thesis proposal found at
http://kmi.open.ac.uk/publications/techreport/kmi-10-01 I enumerate
issues and solutions related to the sensemaking behind the fabrication
and maintenance of knowledge federations such as proposed here.

All that to suggest that there are emerging open source projects which
can be applied to the federation of biomedical information resources
at all levels. I'm happy to contribute where I can.

Jack