RE: Expression RDF note

hi all,

'“genome profiling” can also include the work of SNP identification etc.'

i think looking at SNP identification is not a bad idea but even tho the
same technology is used, in the end, the analysis is very different for
both microarray and NGS snp identification than gene expression.  just
because the initial processing is similar, from a systems biology
perspective, i don't really see a difference between 'genome profiling' and
any -omics technology, where as using either microarrays or NGS to do gene
expression studies is a distinct -omics as is SNP identification.

'both the term "gene expression" and the note itself are still associated
with microarrays'

this is not the case that i've seen, particularly in the context of a gene
expression study.  in TCGA, microarray based studies are slowly but surely
being replaced by NGS gene expression studies and there has been no
confusion.

so for the note i think it will be much clearer to stay with gene
expression and, as part of the systems biology working group, begin to move
into these other -omics and how they can be used together to form a model.

my 2˘,

michael

Michael Miller

Software Engineer