RE: [linkedlifew3cnote] EUROPE at 4PM CET!!!: Linked Life Data telco on Emerging Practices Note 11AM ET / *4PM CET* today

hi all,

here's my modified first paragraph to question 6:

No. However, the more entities and predicates there are in common between
two data sets, the easier those two datasets can be integrated or 'joined'
in a query, without loss of information or gain in noise.  The use of any
ontology when mapping data is already an improvement over tags or
unstructured text which often force integration to rely simply on lexical
or 'string' similarity. Indeed, if the same ontologies or URIs are used in
different data sets, the level of effort required is much less than if the
ontologies are different. But often there are domains that are represented
by different organizations, for instance the multiple protein and gene
databases that have existed side by side with separate funding, or
separate but related domains such as drug and adverse reaction knowledge
bases. In case different ontologies have been used in each data set, it is
sometimes possible to use alignment information between the two ontologies
in order to translate to a single mapping. This is the case in the above
example where the protein and gene databases have rich cross references
between them.

(if this looks useful, please add me to the list of contributors, thanks!)

cheers,
michael

Michael Miller
Software Engineer