Re: Minutes from Clinical Decision Support teleconference

Hi Richard,

>Were the entries blank in "Germ-line genetic marker (curated SNPs)" because the 2C9 variants were not present in a curated resource?

We discussed this a bit after you had left. Some entries for curated SNPs in [1] are blank because the warfarin drug label there refers to CPY2C9*1 alleles, i.e., the wild-type alleles. These are a bit tricky, because these wild-type alleles can be defined by not having any SNP that would turn it into a non-wildtype allele (i.e., you would need to know the status of a great number of SNPs to make a wild-type call, while you only need to know one or two SNPs to make a non-wildtype call).

Generally, it seems a bit problematic to use alleles denoted with the * notation in drug labels without referring to the concrete SNPs or genetic sequences, because the definition of alleles can change when new variants are discovered.

> What is the meaning of the evidence column?

I think for the time being it is sufficient to capture from which source the rule was derived in a short text and a URL that points to that resource, if available online. I added such a text to the table now. In general, I think we won't derive these rules from primary datasets, but mostly from already curated (albeit unstructured) and authoritative sources.

> It might also be interesting to link to the evidence that motivated that decision for which one would have to go to a different source e.g., <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19228618> or <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17906972>

I don't understand -- could you elaborate?

> It might help communicate the rules more clearly if you provide a label for VKORC1 variants in the column "Germ-line genetic marker (as appearing in source)"

Done.

> The "level of evidence" and "clinical significance" columns are very challenging things to assign. The level of evidence could be some evidence-based ranking (e.g.,<http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/Aug03/080103/03n-0069-rpt0001-04-Attachment-b-vol4.pdf> ) or a consensus-based scale (e.g., SORT, <http://www.aafp.org/afp/2004/0201/p548.html>). I think that there is no standard rating scale but that most will agree some kind of rating is important. So, it might make sense to include a triple that has the rating and metadata describing the scale used and who did the rating.

There exist some evidence classification schemes in the pharmacogenomics domain (e.g. from PharmGKB, of course). I documented the PharmGKB schemes at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&key=0AiGT-vnkGcoLdFFVMEdqcFdYaDFqS0xHTnlUT0N3cEE&hl=en_US&gid=1 (values in the decision table are auto-completed based on the entities there). I guess for this project we should standardize to using a single scale, rather than mixing different scales.

TODO: Would you (or someone else) be interested in looking into these classification schemes to see what would fit best? Are some of these schemes available as ontologies, e.g. via BioPortal? However, I guess we should at least retain some compatibility with PharmGKB, CPIC and other such initiatives!

Cheers,
Matthias

[1] https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AiGT-vnkGcoLdFFVMEdqcFdYaDFqS0xHTnlUT0N3cEE&single=true&gid=3&output=html