Re: Minutes from Clinical Decision Support teleconference

I wanted to first thank Matthias and the CDS group for doing a very nice
job on some initial OWL and SPARQL rules for pharmacogenomic clinical
decision support [1]. I had a few comments and questions regarding the
rules...

Questions:

- Were the entries blank in "Germ-line genetic marker (curated SNPs)"
because the 2C9 variants were not present in a curated resource?

- What is the meaning of the evidence column? I could imagine assigning
and evidence type, an OBI description of the study from which the
evidence was derived, or a citation. Thinking about the big picture, it
would be neat if the evidence was a URI or SPARQL query to an annotation
of the text (human or computer) complete with metadata on when the
annotation was created and the expertise of the group providing the
annotation. Perhaps there should be both an entry for the annotation and
metadata about the scientific provenance of the data from which the rule
was derived. In this case, the scientific provenance would be that the
statement came from a decision made by an authoritative source (the
FDA). It might also be interesting to link to the evidence that
motivated that decision for which one would have to go to a different
source e.g., <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19228618> or
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17906972>

Comments:

- It might help communicate the rules more clearly if you provide a
label for VKORC1 variants in the column "Germ-line genetic marker (as
appearing in source)"

- I think that the key to really making this example strong will be to
include rules that factor in both clinical and genetic factors. Genetic
variability is important but it is only part of the picture. Perhaps
some rules could be derived from clinical dosing algorithms that factor
in clinical and genetic factors such as described in
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19228618>

- You might find it interesting that one can get a SPARQL query to the
actual text and table from which you grabbed this variant information
using the linkedSPLs endpoint:
http://dbmi-icode-01.dbmi.pitt.edu/linkedSPLs/sparql:

PREFIX dailymed:<http://dbmi-icode-01.dbmi.pitt.edu/linkedSPLs/vocab/resource/>

SELECT ?dosage WHERE {
   ?s dailymed:setId "d91934a0-902e-c26c-23ca-d5accc4151b6".
   ?s dailymed:dosage ?dosage.
}

- The "level of evidence" and "clinical significance" columns are very
challenging things to assign. The level of evidence could be some
evidence-based ranking
(e.g.,<http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/Aug03/080103/03n-0069-rpt0001-04-Attachment-b-vol4.pdf>
) or a consensus-based scale (e.g., SORT,
<http://www.aafp.org/afp/2004/0201/p548.html>). I think that there is no
standard rating scale but that most will agree some kind of rating is
important. So, it might make sense to include a triple that has the
rating and metadata describing the scale used and who did the rating.

Clinical significance is even more challenging because no one can agree
on what this means. In drug-drug interactions, all of the major drug
compendia have very poor agreement on the clinical severity of an
interaction and local sites will customize the severity rankings to fit
the populations they work with. Some groups avoid classifying severity
and go for an operational classification such as "avoid", "minimize
risk", or "no special precaution"
(<www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11297327>. Here again, it might make sense
to include a triple that has the clinical significance (or operational)
rating and metadata describing the scale used and who did the rating.

thanks,
-Rich

[1]
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AiGT-vnkGcoLdFFVMEdqcFdYaDFqS0xHTnlUT0N3cEE&single=true&gid=3&output=html>

--
Richard Boyce, PhD
Assistant Professor of Biomedical Informatics