Re: BioRDF Telcon

hi kei,

> What do we mean by differentially expressed genes? One definition is that
> differentially  expressed  genes are genes with significantly different
> expression in two samples/conditions/experimental factors/dimensions
> (e.g., treated vs. untreated, disease vs, normal, time point1 vs. time
> point 2) of microarray experiments.

yes, this was my meaning.

this is to differentiate between a gene that is always expressed under
normal conditions because it is part of an essential pathway that is always
running, that gene is only interesting if its expression level
changes--similarly for a normally unexpressed gene.

> How to measure or infer gene expression (e.g., from mRNA) is a whole
> complex question that may be beyond the scope of our use case.

yes, which i think was scott's point in his reply.  in fact, for the BioRDF
use case, initially at least, it is probably sufficient that the authors of
the paper state that a gene is part of the significant gene list.

cheers,
michael