  From:       conor dowling <conor-dowling@caregraf.com>

  To:         public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org

  Date:       11/03/2010 11:23 AM

  Subject:    semantic web for EHRs

  Sent by:    public-semweb-lifesci-request@w3.org

Is anyone on the group involved or know about adding a Semantic Endpoint to
an EHR system? I'm working on a SPARQL "profile" called FMQL (see:
http://www.caregraf.org/semanticvista#fmql ) for VA's VistA, the most
widely deployed EMR in the U.S. (and open-sourced to boot). You can
see/code-to the current "linked data" support for VistA at
http://vista.caregraf.org .

Luckily VistA's built around graphs - if you look at a patient like the
unfortunate Christopher Jones ( http://vista.caregraf.org/rambler/2/9 ),
you see that his "record" is a patient node referenced by nodes for vitals,
orders, medications ... The VA has over ten million patients in graphs like
this.

Unluckily, their graph store - called FileMan - has no remote query
language. Which is where SPARQL, OWL et al come into play.

Is such EHR system "exposure" common outside the U.S.? (There's little here
from what I can see - the interoperability push is around SOAP). Any work
in Britain, Germany etc.? Or Finland (where they use a similar system to
VistA)?

Thx,
Conor